River Views, Picnic Sites, Forest Hikes, Three Historic Towns, and Great Take-Out
Last weekend, itching to get out of the house, my kids, boyfriend and I piled into the car and ended up on a COVID-friendly afternoon of hiking and driving along the Hudson River on Route 385 in Greene County. Pack a lunch and a blanket, or grab some curbside-delivered food. We didn’t get out of the car except to hike, and never came closer than a hundred yards of another human. We all felt very safe during this springtime jaunt. FOLLOW THESE COVID-19 PRECAUTIONS FROM THE NEW YORK STATE PARKS DEPARTMENT anytime you’re visiting parks or other outdoor sites during this time.
What It Is: A picturesque 12-mile drive along Route 385, from Coxsackie to Catskill
What You’ll See: River Views, Riverfront Parks and Hikes, Forest Walks, and Three Quaint Historic Towns
Directions: Take the New York State Thruway to Exit 21B Coxsackie / Ravena. Follow US-9W S/Rte 9W S, then bear left onto Route 385 South / Mansion Street, to another left onto Reed St. Historic District (you’ll see a sign) in Coxsackie. If you miss the sign, just put “Reed Street Coxsackie” or “Reed + Mansion Store, Coxsackie” into your GPS to get you there.
Things to See and Do in Coxsackie:
- Coxsackie’s Reed Street Historic District – make a slight left on Route 385 to stay on Mansion Street, and follow onto Reed Street, to see a lovely collection of Italianate buildings, as well as a great view of the Hudson River.
- Coxsackie Riverfront Park, South River St. and Betke Blvd., Coxsackie. Boat launch, green space for picnics (with plenty of room for social distancing), beautiful view of the Hudson.
- Four Mile Point Preserve, 169 Four-Mile Point Rd, Coxsackie. Kid-friendly walk, with longer trail options and river views. Click here for trails map.
Coxsackie Take Out / Curbside Delivery:
- The Cask and Rasher, 245 Mansion Street, Coxsackie, NY 12051, 518-731-PINT (7468), 4-8pm daily.
- Mansion + Reed General Store, 45 Reed Street, Coxsackie, (518) 616-9701, Wednesday-Sunday, 12-6pm. Snacks, breads and coffee items, delivered to your car.
Things to See and Do in Athens:
- Athens Historic District — turn off of Route 385 onto Second Street when you enter the town of Athens, and drive through the side streets to see gorgeous, historic homes and storefronts.
- Athens Riverfront Park, 4 North Water Street, Athens — Take Second Street to the river, and you’ll find a park with plenty of room for strolling, picnics (and distancing!).
- Hudson Athens Lighthouse – You can see this gorgeous little lighthouse from Athens Riverfront Park.
- The Willows at Brandow Point, 480 Rt. 385, Athens — Hike through wildflower fields and then down through forested land until you reach the river.
- Cohotate Preserve Trail, 450 Route 385, Athens. — An easy, one-mile walk in the woods, with access to Hudson River.
Athens Take-Out / Curbside Delivery
- Crossroads Brewery, 21 Second Street, Athens, 518-945-BEER (2337). Burgers and pub food – and very good beer. (Try the Black Rock Stout. It’s my favorite.)
- Black Horse Farms, 10094 Route 9W, Athens, 518-943-9324. Fresh produce available for curbside pickup; click for list.
Things to See and Do in Catskill:
- Downtown Catskill, Main Street, is a quintessential Hudson River town, home to the founder of the Hudson River School of painting Thomas Cole, and legendary home of Rip Van Winkle. Come back after COVID to see the fantastic shops and restaurants.
- Dutchman’s Landing Park, Lower Main Street, has boat launches, plenty of room for safe picnicing, and beautiful views of the Hudson River.
- Beattie Powers Place, Prospect Ave. & Bridge St., Catskill, NY 12414. An 1837 Greek Revival mansion, with sweeping views of the Hudson River and Olana.
- RamsHorn-Livingston Sanctuary, 84 Dubois Road, Catskill. 2 miles of trails follow an old farm road past a 28-foot observation tower, then narrow as they meander through forests and skirt RamsHorn Marsh.
Catskill Take Out / Curbside Delivery:
- Mermaid Café, 374 Main Street, Catskill, NY 12414, (518) 217-8811, Wednesday-Saturday 12-7pm. Tacos, ramen, and bowls. Super fresh and affordable.
- Avalon Lounge, 29 Water Street, Catskill, NY 12414, 518-719-1640, Wednesday-Sunday 3-8pm. Great Korean food — try the Kimbap (Korean sushi rolls) and the Bulgogi. Actually, it’s ALL good! Cocktails to go, too.
- 394 Wine Bar, 394 Main Street, Catskill, 12414, (518) 947-47744. Wonderful Mediterranean selections — try their falafel platter.
- La Conca D’Oro, 440 Main Street, Catskill, 12414, (518) 943-3549. Best red-sauce Italian north of New Jersey (I don’t say that lightly!). My favorite is the zuppa de pesce. It’s delicious, and the servings are huge — you’ll eat for a week.
- Wasana Thai, 336 Main Street, Catskill, 12414, (518) 943-9134. Delicious, made-to-order Thai for over 20 years.