This week, the CapNY Regional Brand Initiative was launched. The ACE team and partners have been at the forefront of this effort for over 5 years, when we first began connecting amazing places and people in all 8 counties of the Capital Region. It’s your stories, conversations and connections that built the CapNY brand. Here’s the ridiculously creative talent that built CapNY:
- Rachel Dunn led our very earliest ACE Roundtable discussions in 2018, where we first posed the question, “What is this place, and do you like it here?” Hundreds of people from all 8 counties weighed in, and your outpouring of comments – and love for this place — formed the basis for the CapNY brand. Rachel then envisioned and led the formation of the CapNY brand with our stupendously generous partners, Fingerpaint, Overit and Collectiveffort. You can see the story of the CapNY brand here. The fact that three marketing / branding firms from three different counties worked together with a project manager as talented as Rachel is exactly what makes the Capital Region special. Our depth of talent is remarkable, and it’s why we are truly CAPable of aNYthing.
- Gabby Fisher – who is now Associate Director of ACE! – served as Senior Producer of the CapNY website, and will continue to spearhead the social media and newsletter development for the CapNY brand. Gabby managed and oversaw the development of a hundred articles, and worked with dozens of writers, technicians, photographers and more, to give the site its vibrant, authentic feel and sleek, clean look. And, she did all of this in just six months, which is nothing short of amazing. A serial entrepreneur, Gabby’s co-mads (new site coming 4/19) and Capital Heart Connection projects are unmistakable evidence of the power of the next generation of talent in Capital Region. CapNY is designed to shift the region’s focus and power to leaders like Gabby. NOW. Not twenty years from now.
- The project leads of our agency partners who gave their hearts to the development of the brand: Patrick Harris and Jamel Mosely (collectiveffort), Bill McEllen and Andy Spitzer (Fingerpaint), Michelle Dinsmore (Overit), and the amazing teams who created soooo many iterations of this brand, to finally arrive at the absolutely perfect one.
- Filmmakers Micah Khan and Victoria Diana shot the gorgeous CapNY video, and editor Luke Aker who brought the footage together so beautifully!
- Our dozens of talented, up-and-coming writers and collaborators, SEO editor Barbara Price, and our lead technician Rachel Holt of Reach Creative
- Photographers Konrad Odhiambo, Ska City Photography, Jay Zhang Photography, and others
- Our earliest and strongest advocates, who had the vision to see what we were doing when this was just a kernel of an idea: Jeff Buell of Redburn Development, Dan Nolan of Graypoint LLC, Chet Opalka, and Ellen Sax of MVP Health Care. Hundreds of people helped, but these four people turned the tide and moved mountains for us.
- Corey Aldrich of 2440 Design Studio, who has thrown his entire self into every one of our 40+ ACE events. Those events formed heart and soul of what’s culminated in CapNY and so much more ahead.
- The ACE partners and the Center for Economic Growth (CEG), for opening doors and supporting our work.
Also. ACE is aware of the inadvertent problems that can occur when a region takes its eye off of the people who live here, and focuses its efforts on attracting and courting outsiders. This was made clear by consultant Meredith Powell during our “Lessons from Austin” event in 2019. Meredith said something that sticks in our heads to this day – “Dance with who brung ya.” In other words, don’t forget the residents who made the region great in the first place. We’re committed to telling ALL of our stories, both new residents and old. Because you built this place. And you’re amazing.
A million thanks to all of you, for showing the world what the Capital Region is made of.
-Maureen Sager, Executive Director, ACE