Welcome to our celebration of Latin-owned restaurants in the Capital Region! Schenectady-based, Honduran-born artist Oscar Bogran and I explored a range of restaurants that are deeply inspired by Latin American heritage and culture. We tried things we’d NEVER dreamed of eating, and met amazing women who are running successful businesses and employing dozens of people. Not many of them would call themselves “chefs.” (They’d likely say they’re the “cook”.) But rest assured, they’re hand making some of the most fantastic artisan food in the Capital Region, at price tags everyone can afford.
Click to read much more about each location:
“Artisan food” is a term used to describe food produced by non-industrialised methods. It’s often handed down through generations but now in danger of being lost.
And here’s what you get when you eat each of these restaurants:
- Authenticity — the owners and chefs are dedicated to sharing their rich culture through food. They talked to us about each and every dish, thrilled to share their stories.
- Affordability — we didn’t spend over $15 per person at any of these restaurants, and often, we spent under $10.
- Family Operated — every restaurant included family in their operation.
- Minority and Women Ownership — all are owned by people who were born in Latin American countries, and four out of five are headed by women.
Our Tips for Exploring Latin American Restaurants:
- Ask Lots of Questions — Everyone really enjoyed explaining their offerings. Additionally, we often found specialties that aren’t even included on the menu
- Speak Spanish, If You Know Any — Oscar was able to draw out conversations better than I was, for sure! He was able to engage people who weren’t that comfortable with their English, and he helped me, too, because I’m not comfortable in Spanish.
- Don’t Judge a Book By Its Cover — Many of these settings are very humble. The storefronts are not fancy, the interiors are utilitarian, and they might not be in the “best” section of these downtowns. However, the adventure will be super fun, and the food is fantastic. We guarantee it.